Before you get all defensive and declare that “sugar doesn’t belong in cornbread”, simmer down and try this recipe! It goes perfectly with my Thick and Hearty Chili! – The Glitzy Gourmet and is also delicious served in a bowl with some milk and sugar! Don’t get me wrong, I love regular cornbread, cornmeal pancakes, cornmeal muffins….I love any kind of good cornbread! But sometimes, a good SWEET cornbread is just what you need!
- 3 Tablespoons salted butter
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal (not self rising)
- 3/4 cup dry yellow cake mix (save the left over mix in an airtight container and use again)
- 1/2 cup flour (not self rising)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 1 cup (-1 Tablespoon), milk
- 1 Tablespoon white vinegar (add to milk)
- 1/4 cup oil
Begin by adding the vinegar to the milk and set aside. In a cast iron skillet, add the butter and place in the oven. Set the temperature to 400 degrees and allow the pan to preheat. Meanwhile, mix up the remaining ingredients. Pour directly into the preheated skillet and bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
As always, thanks for being here! I hope you enjoy!
Much Love- The Glitzy Gourmet!